PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 6th Mar 2010, 10:46
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by calumwm
first is about a driving licence; assuming i get in as a pilot, would the RAF pay for it? I believe they only do it for driving related jobs,
The Army teach drivers to drive. The Air Force teaches pilot how to fly. OK?

if I was selected for direct entry after 6th form, how long would it be before it gets serious and I'd have to start proper training?
Shall we say about 6 months or more before you apply? Once you apply the gap between AFCO, OASC and IOT is a moveable feast based on supply and demand. Only if you had a really good reason would it be fair to ask for an IOT deferment.

As for gap year, not sure about your specific question but you can put a gap year to good use improving interpersonal skills, initiative, self-improvement etc or you could be a surf-bum and improve your fitness by day and ruin your health by night. Your call. Just remember that it can be a significant part of any interview process.