PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 14:38
Mark Malone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced Gulfstream II/III Pilot

I've read the replies and will offer the following based on flying the GII/GIII continously since 1981 (6,000 + hours in type):

There are two schools; those who see the value in a GII/GIII and those who don't.

My thought is it is one of the safest airplanes ever made and very strong performer which comes at a price; weight; large engines; high fuel burn. A well maintained one is very reliable and safe if you have the right crew making good decisions.

Issues; noise. This is partially addressed by avoiding airports not open unless stage III and not operating late at night at certain airports with cerfews.

Maintenance is available and the GII is a 1968 design an the GIII 10 years newer. The GIII is better in many ways and are $2.5m for a good one.

Because it is of newer technology it will be better to own for the long run and have some resale potential.

Major issues:
Cockpit avionics status
Interior acceptable as is
Paint good
Engines are overhauled every 20 years with a $500k midlife at 10 years
72 month inspection
24 month inspection
5,000 landing gear overhaul
Aft bulkhead inspection
Emerg. window inspection
Corosion status

This airplane should be in a hangar in Florida.

It burns 550 gallons an hour at 460 knots. Range for GIISP is 2,400nm and GIIB/GIII is 3,400nm. For your missions, I'd reccomend the GIII.

Don't buy a straight wing GII or tip tank GII. No resale unless 3rd world.

Only consider a GIISP, GIIB or GIII. It is a buyers market and you should get the best one on the market, not just the cheapest. Avionics, total time, engine calendar time, interior, paint, major inspection status all play a part in determining which is really cheaper. Engine mid-life is $1m so buying one right out of mid-lifeand paying an extra $400k is money well spent. Paint is $100k, interior is $100-$200k. An old cockpit might cost $500k to update.

Typing on a computer is not my style for a real discussion. If you'd like to have a conversation, please email or call me as I'd be happy to help answer any questions.

Mark Malone