PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing at private sites in the US - restrictions
Old 14th Feb 2010, 23:26
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read an article about an ordinance passed by Suffolk County (Long Island, NY) where despite the fact they acknowledged they had no legal bounds to pass the ordinance, as the FAA controls all the airspace in the USA, they were passing it anyway. ($1,000 or 1 year in jail!)

It is clearly not worth the effort, legal troubles or bad PR to be a bad neighbor but the mind boggles as to how it can be legal to hover 1" above the ground but at the point of touching the ground it becomes illegal, or for a town to deny you.

My question was more along the lines to prohibit unintentionally busting a local ordinance when no internet search, including viewing the municipal or state web sites show any requirements.

In my search for property, and places to enjoy the advantages of traveling to in a helicopter I have come across rhetoric and rumor but so far not any legislation, or an ability to find heli friendly municipalities (if such a thing exists).

Long paved runways loose their je ne se quoi when you have a cyclic in your hand.