PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Airside Tarmac Tours Closing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 12:11
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sorry to hear that Phil.

The experience of many little kids who have done the tour will have fixed their sites on an aviation career.

We used to have tours at Devonport where the kids would spend a half hour with the Fireys showing off and squirting fire retardant foam and then get a chance to crawl over an F27 or F28 during turnaround, wear the headphones during startup + all that. They were wide eyed and we received many beautiful letters afterwards.

They didn't know I was doing visual signals to the crew during the start but thought thet had control just as my eldest boy thgought he was marshalling the F28 in even though I was watching and correcting behind him. I know - you didn't pay attention anyway.

The guts is that insight into the industry, one we are very passionate about, should still and always to be available to the wide eyed kids that are the industry's future.

The Septics have chucked a whole lot of new regulations out to protect their air traffic and can't even interpret the information that they now force us poor Travel Agents to load so why are we worried?

Over regulation again wins over fun and amazement. Iam sure the tour operators would recognise the kid with the surface-air missile.

Ahhhhhh - over regulation!

Best all

EWL