PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobham/Chelton HeliSAS
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 12:45
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And If I were them I'd do the 206 first before biting off the 407. The 407 is likely to be a bit of a challenge because of the control responsiveness compared to a 206 or R44.

According to press coverage, this is the plan. Cobham/Chelton has announced that they will do the 206 first, followed by the 407. The link in my first post to the Technical Description of this system actually shows photos of the servos installed in a 206.

Here is an excerpt from a recent press release:

"Previously, Cobham has received a Supplemental Type Certification (STC) from the FAA for HeliSAS use in a Robinson R44 helicopter, which the Company announced on 23 November 2009. Cobham is in the process of achieving HeliSAS certification for use on the Bell 206, Bell 407, Eurocopter AS350, and the U.S. Navy's Bell-made TH-57 helicopters"

Your point about being wary until it is certified on the 407 is well taken, as aviation is full of missed expectations.

Another Cobham/CHelton press release:

News
October 19, 2009 (MINERAL WELLS, Texas) Cobham Avionics announces that HeliSAS certification activities have begun on the Bell 206B and 407 helicopter models. Cobham is partnering with Edwards & Associates, Piney Flats, TN, for HeliSAS installation and certification on the Bell rotorcraft. The two-axis VFR STC program on both of these models is currently in the flight testing stage at Edwards, and early B206B results have been positive. In addition, HeliSAS components are being fitted on the B407, which is expected to be in flight test by early December.
FAA certification on the B206B is anticipated in January, 2010 with the B407 to follow by April. Cobham Avionics has also plans to introduce HeliSAS on the Eurocopter AS 350 models and EC 120 later in 2010.

Last edited by EN48; 16th Jan 2010 at 14:22.