PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobham/Chelton HeliSAS
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 02:56
Avnx EO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn... it can't be a "series" actuator unless its in "series". I've seen the installation and it is a parallel actuator (they don't cut the control tubes to put in the actuator.)
I've also heard that same statement: that they "combine" the series and parallel actuators into one. That's a bit of an overstatement. You can't apply a series input with a parallel actuator.... by definition. What I understand they are doing is using a fast-moving parallel actuator that is limited from large authority over-travel by clever monitoring. This allows the system to be responsive enough for the fast and fine control movements in small scale (like those traditionally done by a series SAS actuator) but then still use the same actuator for the long-travel slower positioning one needs for trim centering.

This is a truely cost-effective and clever way to do a hands-off system. But other than the nudges it gives you in parallel to your own actions, there is no handling quality improvement to the extent you get with a true SAS with the pilot hands-on.