PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Who is flying your airplane?"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 16:47
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be absolutely and bluntly honest with you, I'm not sure that the 1,000 hour instructor has many advantages over the 250 hour self-improver when it comes to being actually hired as a new airline pilot. There are a lot of people out there (in the hiring game) who don't see much relevance to someone who has sat in a Cessna 150 for 700 hours or so.

Let me stress immediately that I really do not particularly agree with this line of thought but that is the way it is I'm afraid.

If I were a 1,000 hour instructor right now, in this climate, AND IF (and it is a very big IF) I desperately needed to get out of the local flying club scene and into commercial flying, then I would go down the Ryanair road.

At least you should get your money back in a couple of years and the rating belongs to you and only you.

I hate to say it, but that is about the only game in town. If you can't face that prospect then you had better stay with the local flying club. It will be a very long time before the market dries up to the point that airlines start paying for ratings again.

The only possible exception is BA and they are not exactly in the hiring mode at the moment. In fact, I heard that when someone threw an alligator into the BA pool the other day, it was stripped bare and eaten by the hordes of swimmers in the pool before it even got its feet wet!

We live in unpleasant times.