PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Validation of a UK CAA JAA CPL
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 15:34
BigGrecian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
due to the fact no training or payment is changing hands.
I have a piece of paper in front of me from US Immigration that defines pay - as a student hiring the aircraft for flight training as you the instructor can log the hours. Therefore flight instruction is defined as work and you must have the right to work in the US to provide this. Therefore you cannot legally instruct on a waiver. (Edit : This is under a directors memo regarding flight training)

You would then need to let a lawyer decide whether that requires an FAA CFI/CPL as one part of government defines it as pay - but another may not. (Of course different departments don't talk to each other
I met an FAA FSDO represenative less than 2 weeks ago at a European JAA FTO in Florida investigating schools providing instruction from JAA FIs without relevant FAA qualfications - I do not know the outcome.

The FAA CFI who signs the student of must have found the student proficient in all maneouvres including stalling etc in accordance with Part 61 so as long as they cover that - then there are no problems.

For approval of a UK FTO your staff would technically have to have an FAA CFI if providing JAA PPL instruction.

Again comes down to just because you got away with it does not mean it is right or legal!