PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZSPD Cargo Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 22:35
bugg smasher
quidquid excusatio prandium pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of things here;

An acceleration check, as with correct V-speeds and distances, is predicated on accurate calculation of aircraft weight, specific runway-legal weight limits, and resultant flex temp values. As a possible contributory factor, did this crew have the specific data for that runway, or did they use the generic charts from the AFM performance pages?

The ATS ‘grabs’ the throttles noticeably, even had the TO CLAMP annunciation been overlooked, that grab is all the more significant by its absence. So I think not, but you never know, fatigue has a way of making good pilots inattentive, extreme fatigue, dangerously so.

As an aside, the acceleration check, in my view, is traditionally assigned to the Flight Engineer (really wish I had the salty ‘ol bastards back, nothing like a flying spanner to whack an outa-control copilot into shape ). A very valuable one no doubt, but the two-man-crew PF/PNF concentration requirements on a critically loaded heavy jet takeoff roll normally make this additional tasking a possible detriment, a dangerous distraction even, to the safety of the maneuver. Low visibility and contaminated surfaces make it even more so.

The takeoff, it goes without saying, should have been determined successful before the aircraft leaves the chocks.