PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American MD80 rough landing CLT/leaves debris!
Old 17th Dec 2009, 08:27
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source: http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4243a3f8&opt=0

The tower released three aircraft for takeoff before issuing a late landing clearance about 2nm before touch down
According to their report the controller had already advised the crew of a significant deviation from the localizer course prompting the crew to disengage their autopilot at 300 feet and continue for a manual landing.
Looks to me that they experienced localizer deviations probably caused by the departing traffic. Usually they are strongest, when the aircraft is passing the far threshold, getting close to the antenna (line of sight to the approaching a/c's position).

As the Wx lookes CAT II to me, it is perfectly fine to switch off the autopilot after having established visual references to the Rwy and to land. You are vulnerable to spacial disorientation though, especially coming from an offset position and likely in a bank.

Factors for the incident might be a breach of procedures by the tower (not enough protection), physiology (disorientation) and human factors (target fixation). I stress "might be".

And, p51guy
A cat 3 approach to the vis they were requires a go around if loc and gs parameters are not met. Autopilot and autoland is required. Handflying to a landing is not allowed.
, is just simply wrong. Maybe in your plane/experience that might be the case.
But all CAT III I fly are manual. Autopilot use is forbidden, and my aircraft does not have autoland capabilities, yet is certified CAT IIIa with minima 50'/RVR 200m.
I have to fold down and use that headup guidance thingy though.

Nic