PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI puts 600 jobs at risk?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 23:39
skip.rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref: PAYG cadets-
The whole scheme is disgusting, bmi are willing to let 8 pilots lose their jobs so they can continue to train and then charge these cadets £40'000 for the privilege of joinging the dole queue with people with 2000 more hours on type.
-Not true;
The morality of these guys being here (and I have to say their sanity) is questionable, but given that it has been acknowledged that the revenue generated keeps the excess trainers training, it is preferable from the airline's point of view to maintain the currency of this valuable resource in the event of a future upturn. As for the guys 'displaced' from their flights they can, if they want to, come along for the ride and claim: a) the flight pay, and b)the hours as 'other flying'. The company has indicated that if anyone in the 'drop zone' is getting close to an hours target for eligibility, or ATPL unfreezing, then they will endeavour to roster these guys' hours to the max.

The bottom line is that no-one will lose their job as a result of these cadets, and if their presence is affecting hours, etc. then the aim is to minimize that effect.

From a personal point of view, given that the daily expenses probably wouldn't cover the cost of petrol, etc; and I'm not chasing hours,- I am more than happy to spend an extra day with my family on the few occasions where I'm given a day off in lieu of these cadets.

-But, for clarity; once again, I question the morality of such schemes, and also the wisdom of the cadets in the current climate, given that they will probably be
joining the dole queue with people with 2000 more hours on type
............ultimately, who'd get the next job???????.......

S.R.