PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best flying school to enroll in the philippines
Old 11th Oct 2009, 12:28
M 0.78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Pilots???

Jetcruiser says:

"A safety pilot is the one who takes over if Student paks-up on what he is doing.

"A safety pilot is somebody who takes control if the Student is no longer qualified to shoot an specific approach."

I say:

If the "safety pilot" is a rated instructor flying with a student, then he is a "flight instructor" and not a "safety pilot." In this case, the flight would have to be logged as dual instruction by the student.

Jetcruiser says:

"My point is, even Airlines assign Pilots as Safety pilots."

I say:

What airlines are those? I have been flying for a major airline since 1991. I have never ever seen or even heard of a "safety pilot" in the airline.

Jetcruiser says:

"There is really no Illegal here or being unsafe, because in the very beginning of the word it says " safety" pilot.

"So, how can a safety pilot be an unsafety pilot?"

I say:

You can call that person anything you like. You can call him the "Prince of Wales" if you like. But in the end, those so-called "safety pilots" utilized by the great majority of pilot schools in the Philippines have no business flying with student pilots who are logging solo time. Read your CAR's.

If a student flies with a "safety pilot" and logs the flight as solo, he would have been carrying a passenger, which is illegal. The penalty is revocation of the student's license.

From Part 1 of the new CAR's:

"Solo flight time. Flight time during which a student pilot is the sole occupant of an aircraft."

Which of those words don't you understand?

Did you fly with "safety pilots" during your "solo" flights as a student?

Did you fly as a "safety pilot" with student pilots on their "solo" flights?

Do you know people who have done this or who are still doing it?

The real reason why schools send students up with "safety pilots" is that they literally cannot trust the students farther than they can see them for one reason or another.