PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocopter EC-120B, AS350, 130???
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 16:13
victor papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you only want to do what you specified and the temps are not high then the 120 will serve you great. The 350 is build to be a work horse and although they do fine as VIP or corporate machines, it is almost a waste if you are not going to at least let the bleedvalve close every now and again.

If you want more than 4 pax or the room get a 130. The performance is excellent even hot and high, she has the 120 look with more aggression and always draws a crowd of observers due to her specific "look". The 130's maintenance is less than the 350 due to the fenestron and a specific maintenance program not having to cover for many variants and machines working at their max day in and day out worldwide in the worst possible conditions as per the 350.

Regarding the right skid landing first. Next time have a good look at the size of that tail rotor fitted to the 350 and you should see the roll it will induce due to lateral drift. Best way to cope with it is to fly the machine to the ground and do not stop at 3-5 foot to aim for your landing spot.

I am not familiar with the support in the USA, but my experience with theses machines are that they are extremely reliable and forgiving. If you have a good AMO looking after her and do a bit of preventative maintenance every now and again, you should not need Eurocopter's or Turbomeca's assistance except for the odd AOG. That is where you will have some lead time but again I will say the reliability of these machines are awesome and I got to know them where they have to work hard in very remote areas day in and day out!