PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New secrets in the Boeing 737-800 Cockpit
Old 18th Sep 2009, 15:04
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps, also of interest, are somethings NOT to do. I've seen smart arse SFI's teaching cadets on TQ courses to do some overly slick things, but tell only half the story.

Climbing out above TA; use 2 fingers and select STD and cancel MFRA (baro setting) at the same time. They then did the same when descending through TL to select QNH. Except this time they also deselected the DA (baro setting). The SOP, on a NPA, is to select a DA rounded up to nearest 100 and the MCP altitude to the same. They did not get" +100 or minimums", but the a/c levelled off. This was all that saved them. However, in another previous airline they set MCP to MAA and descended in V/S. There would have been no call of "+100 or MINS" and they would have got very close to terra firma if not crashed.

Very often it is NOT a good idea to use 2 fingers to execute 2 switches at the same time, especially in the air.

For, perhaps something useful to do with the FMC, and this applies to all such equiped a/c, and is very helpful to ATC.

Often we ask ATC to avoid weather by left/rigfht 15/20 etc. degrees. Yes, but for how long??? ATC need to know.
Go to RTE OFFSET and enter left/right XX nm until the route bypasses the weather. You can then tell ATC how many NM's you need to deviate and for how many nm's down route. Another way is to enter the active, or relvant, wpt into DCT TO and then in lower RT corner enter a guessed INCPT CRS TO. You wil then see a dotted track into the waypoint. Alter this until it bypassess the Wx. You can now advise ATC you need to deviate HDG XYZ and can track ABC into the WPT. That way they have a picture and can manage traffic well in advance. It ain't a wackily clever trick; it is just using the box in a way it was designed to do and to be helpful to your mate at the other end of the microphone. It's better than throwing a curve ball to who knows where.