PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2009, 20:37
v6g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you're too old, but too mature.

I suggest you take my approach (and there are many like me). I know more people with commercial licenses who pursue it as a rewarding hobby and have proper careers elsewhere than those who actually work full-time in aviation. On the subject of pilots low salaries, the one thing that's never mentioned is that if pilots were paid more they'd be competing in the job-market with a very different calibre of person.

Since the days when I finished my PPL, I've realised that this isn't something that makes sense as a long term career. I gained my CPL whilst working full-time as a professional in another industry with far better prospects. I was laid off from that job earlier this year, and whilst there are jobs out there in that "other industry" right now, I'm using the break to complete my instructor rating. I see that as a good hobby for the future as do many others that I know. Maybe I'll work as a pilot for a year or two as a career break, doing something fun, but not for the long-term.

With a proper job and doing the training modular part-time, you'll find the costs aren't actually a particularly big deal.

That way you keep the enthusiasm and the fulfillment going.

My long term plan is to continue my proper career for another decade or so - by then I'll be into my mid-40's and my family will be financially set, then I might look for a semi-retirement job with a small regional airline. No jet-lag that way - I'm willing to bet that most 18 year olds throwing themselves into crippling debts with integrated training have never experienced the repeated effects of jet-lag or breathing recycled air.

Add into the mix the fact that the recent explosive growth in air travel is entirely due to just 2 things: cheap money & cheap oil - both of which are now gone for good - it's unlikely you'll ever see that kind of industry growth ever again.

To each his own of course, but I certainly won't be regretting it on my deathbed - if anything quite the opposite. Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited by v6g; 6th Sep 2009 at 21:27.