PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 03:36
FlyBoyFryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petr,
  1. How much research have you done with regards to cost and duration of flight training to go from "zero to ATPL"?
  2. Are you prepared to engage in huge financial risk that could amount to a lifetime of debt with little or no chance to realise return on investment?
  3. If things don't work out as planned, is it only yourself or will others near/dear to you suffer from failure for whatever reason?
  4. How is your medical history?
  5. Are you aware of the current economic climate within the aviation industry (specifically) and just how speculative things are in terms of recovery?
These are but some of the factors to consider. If you have anything but absolutely definitive answers to any of the above... then don't even think twice about the whole idea. You can't simply follow your heart and condemn yourself to a ruinous future in the process. Well, I wouldn't at least!

My advice? Save up (or, if you have to, take out a much smaller loan) and complete a Private Pilot License course - it sounds like you don't even have that? If nothing else, it's a basic requirement before engaging in further study or training for your ATPL.

With it, you're not only limiting your exposure to things not going as planned but you'll also gain a FAR better understanding of all things related to aviation... and buying yourself time to make an educated decision which is what it's all about.

Best of luck and prepare for a very wide range of replies!