PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (ex-RAF) Nordhorn
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 09:33
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation (ex-RAF) Nordhorn

Hello military ppruners!

The German shooting range in Nordhorn, has made the news indirectly a few weeks ago by being one of the remaining two operational military training ranges. The range in Wittstock, Brandenburg aka “Bombodrom” will finally be closed by the German military due to fierce public resistance.

This has brought back quite a bit of memories since my parents live in the vicinity, and I haven't seen or heard anything about it since I left over 15 years ago. Information from wiki etc. has been sparse at best and I wonder if there is any military ppruner out there who's willing to share some info about the range.

I'll just list the questions I have in no particular order:

Was this shooting range just used for shooting (dop!) or bomb dropping as well? Where there any other NATO nations besides the USAF w/ A10s that used the range? Were combined exercises (meaning different a/c types) performed? Any special procedures in regards to the nuclear power plant nearby? Was it a complete visual exercise or was there any instrument flying involved? Where were the RAF squadrons based?

Any info appreciated.

7 7 7 7