PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Exec Club - Year End tier points
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 22:29
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone experienced retaining their status, despite being short?
I know a number of very senior managers who are vertically challenged. Don't let anyone put you down just because you are not tall.

Anyway, why does it matter? I have been a gold member for many years and , after a much publicised difference of opinion, sent it back in June. Since then I don't bother with BA nor their tier points. I reckon I have probably saved 20% on regular travel since. Even if I have to fly BA I now take the cheapest ticket without tier points. I have lounge access via my amex platinum card for which I pay a additional annual fee - usually the lounges are OK and not as busy as BA! ( although one expect the BA lounges might have a litle bit more elbow room these days! ) Through making this change I have met plenty of others who have done the same (not all from BA though)- and not being a slave to clocking up points is quite liberating. Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised. I do still collect the miles but don't really care what status I have within the frequent flyer programme - in fact I can't remember why I ever did.

Whilst I can understand whay they would use discretion not to P off loyal customers you will understand that it rather defeats the objective, if you can retain gold status when you haven't accummulated enough tier points - then everyone else will stop trying too!

All the best, FWIW I think BA could reward their loyal customers better by behavioural change within the organisation than by issuing meaningless bits of plastic and inference of superior levels of service. Believe me, regardless of what color of card - you generally only get what you pay for. I get no worse service on BA flights now that I have no status than I did when I had a gold card. But, no better either. Shame.