Old 22nd Aug 2009, 10:04
Mack Buffet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA have no interest in visa matters :

Dear Candidate,

TSA is not a visa-issuing authority and AFSP cannot answer questions
regarding visas or I-20s. Please contact your flight training provider
and/or SEVIS for more information. You can find contact information for
SEVIS at ICE Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS): Contact Information.

Regards,

AFSP Help
[email protected]
1-571-227-4544

Selfin is correct in his post in that you can enter under business visa if the flying is incidental to your stay and less than 18 (or 22) hours per week.

My post was in relation to professional pilot training - i.e not incidental to stay and not less than 18 hours per week. My course is 0800 - 1700 each day for 13 days.

The Department of State has deemed that "short term simulator sessions for employed professional pilots is consistent with B-1 status", this is contained in a letter from the Department of State to FlightSafety.

I forwarded this letter to the Embassy, and received this :

In light of the information that you provided from the Department of State we sought further clarification from them. We have been advised that provided the simulator training is short-term and being done to get recertified or maintain existing certification and there is no classroom instruction, a B-1 visa or travel under the Visa Waiver Program is appropriate. If not, you will require the student (M-1) visa.

Sincerely

Consular Information Unit

To cut a long story short, you need an M1, You should be able to convert your B1 visa if you already have it but you would have to check with your Embassy or Consulate as rules may be different where you are to the UK.

In order to obtain an M1, the school needs to be approved, you can find the list here :

You may access our list of SEVIS approved schools at ICE Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS): Schools and Programs Already F&M Certified? . If you do not see that school listed as an approved school, or if you don’t see that location on the list, than they will not be able to issue you an M-1 visa.

Sincerely,

School Certification Branch

SEVP Immigration & Customs Enforcement

Potomac Center North

500 12th Street SW

Washington, DC 20536

Tel: (703) 603-3591

Email: [email protected]

International Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)

If the school cannot issue you with an I-20-M, you cannot get an M1 and will have to find a provider that can.

I've had to switch already.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mack Buffet; 22nd Aug 2009 at 10:16.