PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 225 vs. S 92 'from the cockpit'
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 08:26
HeliComparator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
The problem is that there are few if any in this world that have significant operating experience on both the 225 and the 92. When you have come from a steam-driven aircraft, both are a major step up.

We will shortly have S92 and EC225 simulators next to each other in Aberdeen, I think that will allow more informed discussions on this point.

Everyone knows I am biased to the 225, but having spent a couple of hours in the S92 simulator, here's my version of the pros and cons:

S92 pros:
Larger cockpit, more stable flight characteristics, manufacturers philosophy is to tell the pilot as much as possible about what is going on in the systems, N Sea aircraft have fully de-iced rotors which reduces stress in winter, and air conditioning for summer

S92 cons: more stable flight characteristics = sluggish control response (for a helicopter). Human interface (ie displays and controls) not intuitive, system information very complicated, rotor-deicing very unreliable, can't take full fuel with full pax, Vibration issues.

EC225 pros: Fast, smooth and lively, very precise autopilot. Manufacturers philosophy is that the pilots are the weak point in the system, so best not to tell them too much! Various protection modes built into the AFCS, eg automatic rrpm control following an engine failure, automatic engagement of 3rd cue when approaching the back of the drag curve in 2 cue. Very simple, intuitive but effective pilot interface. Can take full fuel with max passengers (flight planning is a doddle!). Takes a 160kt ILS on a turbulent day in its stride.

EC225 cons: Small cockpit, no rotor de-icing (but doesn't need it like the 92 does due to limited icing clearance), no aircon (on the N Sea aircraft)... running out of things to complain about...

As someone said, its probably more about the base - here at the moment its primarily Scatsta for S92 and Abz for 225, though of course that can change. On your side of the sea perhaps there is more even spread?

HC