PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320: Switching the Fuel pumps ON while refuelling
Old 29th Jul 2009, 20:35
JetAGoblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further to the above, the OEB referenced, related to runnng the pumps when uncovered. If I recall correctly there needed to be approx 2? tonnes in center tanks and appox 750 in the inners when selecting the pumps on. Thus the recommendation to select the center tank pumps off on the ground, during refuelling (lest there is a bug the system that caused the center tank pumps to run when they were uncovered). The EU AD related to this issue had a compliance date earlier this year.

The above guards against the case where center tank pumps can run with low quantities of fuel in the tank, often leading to Auto Feed fault or other wise, but if the Ctr Tk pumps do run in an empty tank the pressure switch would identify this causing LO PRESS indication (ECAM alert, master caution etc).

There is also a page in the FCOM that recommends that if the pumps do run with little or no fuel in the tanks then select them off during cockpit preparation.

Operation of the center tank pumps in Auto Mode depends on factors such as the state of wing tank and center tank level sensors and slat position, as well as engine speed - the pumps can run in auto, without the engines running.

From my understanding the refuel manifold on the A320 Family drains by a simple drain valve, and that the practice of the A300-600 where running the pumps opened the refuel manifold drain valve was not carried across. I think also there was a mod to address this issue on the A300-600.