PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 08:30
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
Caz, is it not true that the average groundspeed that you quote has been challenged? Was not the boundary time that of a radio call reporting clear of the CTZ rather than exactly crossing it? Was the time of impact from the same time base? I cannot see how as the first must have been an ATC one, the second from the aircraft data base. Whatever the average groundspeed overall, how does this reflect your "flying too fast" speed which is presumably based on IAS and reflects GASO Helicopter Low Level VFR speed restrictions. Is that so and if so what is that max IAS? Is it not also true that the "150 kts" impact speed was not deduced from impact damage by the AAIB, as I thought, but by Boeing's infamous model and your supposed escape manoeuvre inferred by the position of cyclic, yaw and thrust controls. Could these same indications have been rather signs of vain attempts to regain control, together of course with the detached collective spring balance found in the wreckage? Contrary to what you say Mr Cable stated that the possibility of a control system jam could not be dismissed. If that had happened I cannot think of anything more major, with both pilots solely and desperately concerned with regaining control of the aircraft to the very end.