PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coffman Starter?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 22:42
midnight retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffman Starters

Way back in 1973 I was a civilian Flying Instructor at the Hawker Siddeley Flying Club based at Hawarden near Chester and the three Club DHC1 Chipmunks were fitted with Coffman starters which I understand was quite unusual,however these aircraft were orignally built there and the factory no doubt had a good working arrangement with the local CAA Office.
All starts were therefore spectacular by civilian standards and whenever we appeared in public endeavoured to produce a synchronised start ,per the Reds of that era, but Sods law usually applied resulting in a misfire thus spoiling the effect.
On one occasion I taxied backin with the Tiger Moth and witnessed a fellow Instructor standing beside the raised starboard engine cowling of a Chipmunk ,he was resplendant in a Daz white shirt and endeavouring to clear a Coffman malfunction at which point the malfunctioning cartridge actually fired and he took on the slightly startled resemblance of a chimney sweep and furthermore ever so slightly deaf as a result !!
I understand that the three DHC1 Chipmunks were modified to electric starters when they were sold on, resulting in dimished Daz sales no doubt.

Last edited by midnight retired; 4th Jul 2009 at 22:50. Reason: spelling