PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abu Dhabi Aviation
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 01:56
bandit19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For general consumption

I suddenly find myself popular but I won't get used to it

As of January 09:

Captain pay is about 10,000 USD per month on site and and around 8000 USD on rotation.

Schedule is 8 weeks on and 4 weeks off. (No 6 and 6) The schedule is usually 48 or 72 hours on and 2, 3 or sometimes more days off. It is a completely random schedule. (but not bad)

The main base is at Bateen (abu Dhabi). Most expats work in Al Ain and another base in the south "Empty Quarter" There is another base near Dubai but mostly local pilots work there. {yes I am purposefully being vague}

Accomodations at the bases are good...private rooms, kitchens, lounges etc (bring your own pif paf)

Living accomodations are good. New villas in Khalifa "A"(Paki engineering aside). You will have a private room with your own bath. It is located near Abu Dhabi Int'l Airport. You'll want a car because it is a construction zone in the middle of nowhere. The other possible place to live is "the labor camp." I refused to live there because it is entirely substandard. It does have the advantage of being closer to the city though. Some people like it and it is worth a trip to the bar(s) for purely historical and entertainment purposes.

You will not get much flight time but the equipment is new and well maintained. The aircraft are/were not equipped for true SAR work. If you are an expat remember you are just a laborer...like someone else said .."if you are there for any other reason than to make money, you are there for the wrong reason."

DO NOT GET INTO DEBT in the UAE. You cannot leave the country if you have any outstanding bills. If you lose your job and can't get another one they WILL throw you in jail.

All things considered it is not a bad place to work and live. Just make sure you get everything in writing and if you decide to leave, do it during your probationary period.

Oh and if you end up there have a beer at 'Captains' for me.

-Cheers