PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One eye pulsing with heartbeat.... a bit worried
Old 25th Mar 2009, 02:16
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
woos Do you see this effect, or is it felt as a kind of pressure?

I have no idea why the search system fails to find PVD. It's there loud and clear in many of my postings on the subject. However, posterior seems to find them.

For people with Posterior Vitrious Detachment, the first thing is, don't worry. Do get it looked at by a consultant surgeon. Only someone of this standing can make the executive decision as to the pulling on the back of the eye. The The vitreous humour Wikki says: (British spelling) or vitreous humor (US spelling) is the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eyeball.

As I gather, the gel is in a 'membrane like' bag. It is attached by all too few points, one of them being near the optic nerve/blood supply's inlet to the eye. This is where the skill comes in...is it pulling at a delicate point?

It not quite clear what causes the flashing. (3 years ago) but if this subsides, and there is not too much grot - blood/ debris floating about in front of one's vision, then better not intervene.

There is always the escape route of a Vitrectomy if things get tacky. However, be prepared for a cataract as a result of the surgery.

There was a paper published by a US (I think) surgeon, who claimed that introducing the saline replacement fluid by a new route, stopped the rapid onset cataract. I have no knowledge of the validity of this claim. All I know is that I had a nuclear cataract, just about the time I got beautiful - 20/15 vision, back in the repaired eye. Caused more grief than the PVD because of the mulit-lensing the brain goes into, while trying to see round the centre obstruction.

The vitreous gel is an astonishing organ. Much, much more complex than people realize. It is also a fantastic UV filter. Looking at a UV source with one eye and then the other, is chalk and cheese.

One has to take care of an eye that is not UV protected.