PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The tatty old RAAF planes sit sadly at Point Cook
Old 17th Mar 2009, 20:58
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
At Point Cook in my dreams, I see a vastly larger RAAF museum housing an example, or a copy, of every aircraft the RAAF ever flew, including G for George and that ME262.

Beside the museum is a large complex of hangars and businesses which is a world class centre for aircraft restoration, full of everything from old warbirds to Staggerwing Beachcraft and handling engines, airframes and all the other trades. They not only restore aircraft, but teach the necessary trades to those who want to learn.

Towards the water are new hangars housing hundreds of aircraft of all sorts. Point Cook Flying Club has a two story luxurious clubhouse with an upstairs deck and bar from where you can observe happenings and watch the comings and goings of the clubs sleek fleet of Fifty or so GA aircraft, ranging from Cessna Sky catchers for ab initio training to twins and big singles for the more experienced members.

The pleasant afternoon sunlight is full of the noise of aircraft engines, including the occasional deep throated radial..........

....then I wake up.

Seriously ferchrissake develop YPCK, or at least the bit on the Eastern side of the road, as an aviation industry business cluster with strong historic restoration and GA themes. The main reason the State Government should be howling to the Feds about this is jobs, jobs, jobs. However if the same people are still responsible for aviation matters at State level as before, then I'm not holding my breath. It would give us a strategic triangle YMMB, YMEN and YPCK that gives us just about perfect infrastructure.

or to put it another way, the drive from Williamstown to YMMB drives me nuts.

Last edited by Sunfish; 17th Mar 2009 at 23:07.