PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avid Speedwing/Flyer vs Kitfox
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 17:03
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Bost
Hi all
I'm a newbie to this forum, just looking for some information/advice if possible.

I'm fairly recently qualified PPL in a 152, taken the conversion for PA28 & 172. I'm thinking of buying an Avid Speedwing (pref MkIV), but I believe it has connections similarities with the Kitfox. Done a bit of Googling but haven't come up with much. Am I correct the the Kitfox is more similar to the Flyer & therefore has the larger wings & is a little slower at cruise speeds than the Speedwing. Any other significant advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? I am aware of the dodgy flapperons! - believe the advice is simply not to use them.

To keep up the hours on my PPL the plane would have to be non-microlight, if I came up with a microlight version that was suitable how easy is it to get it reclassified as a VLA?

Thanx in advance for any assistance.
Russ
- The two aircraft are quite similar

- A C152 prepares you to fly neither (and PA28 or C172 even less so). I'd recommend some quality time in a taildragging microlight such as a Thruster TST, T300 or T600N with a microlight instructor before going near the Avid or Kitfox.

- You cannot easily transfer most microlights to the VLA category.

- If the best aeroplane is a microlight, get microlight differences training and fly that. The worse that does for you is the requirement to revalidation SEP by test later.

- And having done that, get the aeroplane checked by an appropriate, and independent, PFA or BMAA inspector before buying it.

G