PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2009, 14:56
JGSFLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?

Hello,

I need the "help" of someone knowledgeable on the subject.

I have been looking into prices of private jets for mid range and long range. I always expected to pay for a plane that would have a full load cruise speed of over 400ktas and would be able to accomodate 12 passengers or so with a range of about 3000 to 3500 nautical miles over 5 million US dollars. But recently it seems some Gulfstream IIs and IIBs are being offered for even 1.5 million USD or less, one of them even with about 7500 hours only and recent inspections. Comparable airplanes like the Challenger 600 or any similar Falcon or a Citation X will go for anywhere from 4 .5 million to upwards of 25 million.

My assumption is either the operational cost or some certifications I recently read about that I am guessing gulfstream II and IIB might not be able to pass and they will not be certifiable in the US (it is only my guess), hence they will have to be sold in other countries with less restrictions.

If it would be about the operational cost well for instance I am "retired" and manage money and I can easily make 10 to 20% on my money per year so why would I put an extra 3 million to get the same if the 3 million difference can make me 300k to 600k a year and that would easily offset the operational cost of the plane given the hours I plan to fly per year. When fuel is expensive the operational cost of such planes is about $4000 per hour and when fuel is cheaop it si about $2600 correct?

Plus inviting some people and having the ability to fly freely to many points in the globe the $3200 per hour average for the operation does not seem so high when considering a first class ticket in mid season to a popular destination would be above $10k per person (RT) and business class above $3.3k

Does anybody in here know why those gulfstream planes are now so cheap?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.