PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2008, 17:10
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent and accurate post Attaboy.

One issue you left out is the general decline of T&C's. This is not normally an issue with new-hires because everyone approaches a new job with wide-eyed enthusiasm (especially when flying great equipment on a good route structure) But over time it becomes a huge issue. For example, the inadequate crew rest facilities and the absurd rostering practices will wear you down over time. Unfortunately, the trend is to further push the envelope in those regards.

I would like to emphasize what I think are some important issues.

Family is first. If there is any apprehension in those regards, then make sure you investigate every single aspect of Dubai/EK life before you come. Do not delude yourself, if your wife or kids are not happy, then you are screwed. (kids are not usually the problem, but a serious complication if there is a problem)

Your current situation is another issue. If things are acceptable in your present job and location, then be forewarned... You have no recourse when you are wronged in Dubai. That applies to your personal and professional life. The insanity of 'different laws for different individuals' only affects about 20% of pilots here, but sometimes it turns into a nightmare. Do not think assume that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Only come here if your prospects do not look good where you are now.

Attaboy mentioned the annoyance and frustration of trying to get anything done in this city (and the company to a lesser extent). It will certainly drive you bananas but over time if you have a sense of humor, the incompetence, stupidity and lack of understanding of how to deal with people, will provide you will endless topics of discussion over a few pints.

Another point, that no one ever mentions, is that once an expat pilot, always an expat pilot. This fact should not be taken lightly. There are exceptions but once you leave home to work as an expat pilot, the odds of returning home to a good job are quite small. For most pilots this is not a problem but carefully consider it.

One last point I wish to make is that management will not support you. The company does quite well with respect to events such as illness/injury, medical care or a family death, but otherwise they will do nothing to solve a problem. The entire purpose of our immediate bosses is to fill a regulatory required position. They are excellent at frustrating the hell out of people to the point they stop requesting help in a particular situation. They are hired based on that criteria, so do not expect anything more.

If you come to this place, have a sense of humor. There are excellent rewards to come here, but there are pitfalls too. For me, I am quite happy. But the general approach to dealing with issues that affect pilots operationally and personally, has to be improved. I have days each month when I detest this place and just want to leave, but then I consider what I would be doing back home now.

I think it is fair to say that EK is not what it used to be. Then again, all of aviation is not what it used to be. It is not such an easy decision nowadays, in spite of the present economic upheaval around the world.