PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 06:58
ataboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay Folks here is an up-to-date picture of things at Emirates as I write this email (could change by tomorrow!!)

For the guys/gals in North America I believe it is a good move (that is my own opinion) especially in a legacy carrier with a seniority system. Now this depends on what you want out of your career. If you are happy with you current lifestyle and the priority is on where you live, stay where you are. Dubai (at times) can be a challenging place to live especially if you are from the Western world. The level of incompetence with various employment sectors is sometime mind-boggling. I wonder sometimes how this place functions on a regular basis, but it does, in it's own unique way. If your career paths has you wanting to flying large aircraft to a wide spectrum of destinations (from third world to first world), Emirates is the place. The equipment is great (with lot's of on-board toys), and the cabin crew are great to work with. Not the place for someone who's marriage is on the rock, if you know what I mean

As far as the housing situation goes, basically it is a mess. From what I am told from guys I work with, there is still a little over 100 pilots in temporary accommodations and and no end in sight. One question I would ask if you do interview is, "can you show me the villa's the latest round of new-hires were "assigned". That could be a deal breaker from the candidates point-of-view. The next round of villa's in the choice areas appears to be around mid-2009. Like everything in Dubai, it is a 50-50 chance, that those projects will be pushed back until the end of 2009 considering the current financial situation in Dubai itself. My advise would be to leave the family at home until you have a move in date. It will save you a lot of stress, yes, even more than if you commuted back and forth until the accommodation issue is resolved. I must admit, it is nice not having a mortgage and utility payment every month.

The fleet assignment. If you get Airbus, expect a lot of sub-continent turns (India, Pakistan, etc) in the bottom big groups in the over-night hours, with 8-10 days off per-month. While it is not a lot of days off, you are home a lot. In the tops groups expect a better sked to places like Europe, etc. Once you are CCQ on the A340 the roster should improve even further. If you get Boeing, well the roster is just better because of the long-haul type flying the aircraft does.

The working conditions. They have their moments, but then again, every airline does, and I have yet to encounter an airline where everyone is happy (unless they are all on drugs ). Even though there is no union, they are an okay bunch to work for and I will give them credit (where credit is due). They are not laying-off even when they are a little fat, they are still taking delivery of new aircraft, and are still looking to expand in 2009 where most other carriers on cutting back. Looks like they taking advantage of their competitions weakness in challenging times, like any smart business operation would. I do like working for a group that can quickly adjust to a changing market-place and not have to get "approval" from the "unions".

Family life. Well it is what you make it. Some people love it and some hate it. It all depends on your mind-set. One thing to remember, you are here for a good time, not a life-time. The schooling for the little ones is great and you do not need to worry about them getting shot in the school yard or going through metal-detectors when they enter the school. They will be exposed to a wide-range of different cultures, which is an education in itself. As far as the driving goes, the only word I can thing of is "Valium". There is road rage here, but not the shot at you type, just a lot of yelling (and if you do not speak the language, it is all babble anyways). The police and transit authority are trying to curb the driving issue, but it will take time.

So for those considering coming, you have the facts. There is lots of opportunity here, but Dubai is not the place for everybody. Personally, it was the right move so far for my family, earlier retirement, and some great life experiences.

Good luck to all with your decision.