PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 10:26
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a really interesting tail rotor and has brought back so many memories.
Tony English, (one of Nature's gentlemen) and John Waddington, two very nice guys, both ex Peru and I met them in Indonesia, Duri, when they were flying the 205. No mention of John Odlin or Bob Potts?
I see the name Baker there, was that 'Bent Nose'? or am I mixing things up?
Bill Farnell I first met in Iran in 1968, what a character! ex WO Pilot from the RAF, would sit in a horse shoe shaped bar in Tehran when on time-off and casually ask someone near him, :"And when did you first realise you were homosexual?"
Cliff Saffron, another great guy, was our chief engineer in AUH when we had G-ANJV, WS55Series3, played a handy game of darts, and would be heard calling out "arrers mucker!" to any team member who needed support.
Peter Gray was an instructor at Middle Wallop when I was there in 1964/5, sure it is him, also from Fernando Po, I think?
The K.Bryant rings a bell, was it Keith Bryant? sure I met him somewhere!
Keith Wilkins, we first met in Tehran in 1968, it was the Iranian New Year and we had to get to Khorrmshah so Ken Bradley, the area manager, said, "No problem, you can deliver the company Peugeot station wagon", and so we did, Keith drove, Liz and his infant child in the back and me with a map, only one road anyway, so it didn't matter much but the drive up through the mountains and than back down to the top of the Gulf is a journey I'll never forget, (and Keith's driving was good!).
On arrival in Khorrmshah we were met by Horst Voight, another really nice person who I met again on Das many years later.
The only Griffiths I remember was John Griffiths, ex RN and South America who set up the WS55 operation in Abu Dhabi before returning to England.
Thanks for that picture of the tail rotor, really got the memory bank going!