PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Climb Gradient with no published SIDs
Old 10th Nov 2008, 03:28
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
airlines will have analysed the options to the Nth degree

unfortunately, some don't .. and others think black and white rather than operationally

what about the IFR charter guy in his Chieftain, or for that matter, a jet charter operation.

for the lightie driver .... as the CASA FOI (who drove the change to the rules some years ago to require the GA IFR driver to consider terrain) advised me (with a straight face) .. the pilot can do the sums from the POH data using the declared aerodrome gradient data. Nice guy but, after a period of pointless discussion, I just had to shrug my shoulders and give up Realistically, the pocket rockets are reasonably well off .. the Aztrucks and Chieftains require a bit of finesse ... which, quite often, is outside the technical ambit of the pilots concerned. What is the solution ? Can't say that I can see one in the current regulatory structure.

if the jet charter is subject to CAO 20.7.1b .. then the same rules apply as for heavy iron.