PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 00:08
ODMEA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill say it again the local male cabin crew and ground staff in general are poor operationally and definately not to the standards of the female multinational crew which includes Arabs - the fact they are isolated as Bahraini is becaise GF only employes local Bahraini males(and Omanis in the past) thus making them easily identifiable. Furthermore we are all part of the same human race tell that to your learned British collegue.Thus racism is a myth. My heritage is Arab and I'm very proud of it so please calm yourself in that regard.

MEA is not my national carrier, Qantas is. But I admire MEA for its perserverence and success and its CEO's business acumen - against what should logically be a failed carrier. By rights I should not be comparing it to GF as GF has a much larger fleet and route network. Maybe GF would be better off getting MEA in to consult on how it can be done? MEA would be a fantastic example business case for any MBA student! MEA was the carrier in the region in its pre war glory days. It shot down into dissaray but after yrs of terrible operation has risen again. That is the point I'm making. GF seems to be going throught the same cycles, albeit for different reasons. MEA is owned by the Central Bank of Lebanon and as such was still able to overcome politics and internal bickering to get the job done.

I'm not saying MEA or the Lebanese are better or worse-I'm giving you a regional example of successful airline restructure to the same extent GF needs restructuring, no more no less.

Once again address the issues of instilling a better work ethic into cabin crew and ground staff and not become defensive. When your front line staff are substandard any other problems which a pax may encounter are further magnified. When your front line product is execllent people are generally a little more tollerant when other things go wrong, thus GF is behind the eight ball from check-in let alone on board.

I know GF is trying but nothing is showing at grass roots level i.e. where the revenue comes from - the pax! Lots happening in the palace as you guys call it.
BUT:

To Sum up:
I want to see a difference at check in, boarding process, on board from seats, IFE, food, when I have a problem on arrival etc... when I call the call centre and have my questions answered efficiently, when I need to transit and get a hotel voucher or connect flights, when I have a flight delay...this is where GF needs to concentrate. By the time you resolve your 'managerial' issues your pax wont be around. EY, EK, QR are breathing down GF's neck yet GF doesnt seem to have any sense of urgency about anything. Is it any wonder I jumped ship?

I think we are going in circles here now and we have each respectively made our points. I hope to see tangible action with GF because when I do I will be the first one back on board!
Enshallah eh?

Oddy

Last edited by ODMEA; 31st Oct 2008 at 03:53.