PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2008, 14:05
shazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Sal-e … Certainly I agree with your point of view on service and thank you for the background on the situation at Gulf Air.

In regard to compensation issue, establishing a compensation & benefit (C&B) system (intrinsic factor) and administering quality of working life questionnaire (extrinsic factor), both are good imitative to resolve motivation barrier. I heard many people are not happy about the new C&B system, and this is very expected everywhere. You can never please people about money and benefits, especially when the system is not being established before Company start and maintained up-to-date with the market trends. But that is not the problem of the employee nevertheless. Company should monitor people development and make good use of them through employability, rotation or transfer (internal employment policy). As the Company grows, it increases its base of well-experienced manpower without the need to constantly bring new bloods, often inexperienced perhaps adding a more financial burden, or allowing competitors to snatch best talents. Thus it focuses on business development and expansion. I could give examples from reality.

I been on MEA flights before. It is a rule of thumb that cabin crew members must speak foreign language(s) besides their native one and that is not a point for discussion. In a recent flight to Frankfurt with Gulf Air, I met presentable quatrilingual cabin crew, can I assume that an indicator of an exceptional service? NO. (Coincidently to note, most HR departments in Kuwait, have focus on image and language capacity than behaviour and personality. Use of Psychometric tests and personality assessment tools are declined in most companies, including Kuwait Airways. I recall a Lebanese colleague working in customer service and interviewing applicants, he writes clearly without any sense of embarssment; too much make-up, nice face, heavy weight ..etc perhaps he is hiring for fashion show! And I think this is why selection methods here are so primitive and most of the time based on racist grounds and stereotypes) When I travelled on MEA, I did not have had a very good experience in term of service and it was precisely a problem of improper communication (but that is an individual situation and it is not fair to generalise). Most disturbing scene to me; all cabin crew members are Lebanese nationals, no single foreign nationality. An airline is an international company operating overseas and dealing with different backgrounds, races and nationalities. It MUST have DIVERSITY. I know for instance British Airways hire Arab speaking cabin crew. One nationality = lobby = unique culture = unique politics = corruption, and the privatised Kuwait Airways is an example. Skytrax, a global airline rating agency, rates MEA as 3 star airline! That rating is equivalent to one applied to Kuwait Airways.

I found some insulting inputs in the threads such as without the expats, locals seem can’t cut customer service wise , ..etc all these are considered discriminatory, derogatory and racist terms in legal side of HR and could lead to legal actions if said or quoted in a work place of highly regulated job markets.

I greatly appreciate receiving a constructive criticism, but I would push back strongly those propped up by orientation on gender and nationality.