PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 22:20
ODMEA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand by everything I said about GF. I have spent enough time with the carrier on ultra long hauls mostly, medium haul and extensive short haul. Have you been on a MEA aircraft of late? Youngest fleet in the region, tri lingual cabin crew(immaculately dressed and groomed) IFE which puts GF's to shame, need I go on? No, it's not SQ but it sure as hell is embarrassing when a wor torn country can provide such standards compared to a supposedly wealthy Gulf State. They also did it without expat help-why GF keeps recycling its strategic staff from abroad is quite telling.

The local males on board on the whole have been negligible in service standards and enthusiasm-please dont insult the many 1000's of $ and 100's of hrs I have spent in GF's premium cabins and witnessed this. GF ground staff are not much better.The arrivals desk is a farse and shambles at best of times. The men who tag luggage at premium check in are also usless...I have suffered many silver J tags when infact flying F. Check-in agent dosent notice or even look and why they dont tag the luggage themselves is beyond me.A small example of attention to detail GF has lacked for many years compared to its glory days.

The Chefs, female cabin crew and a select few cabin managers are the best in the region-they have always been nothing less than genuinely friendly, concerned and professional.

I agree GF was a fantastic airline, it was that impression which started my loyalty to them, however, enhough is enough one can only tollerate poor standards for so long.Would you keep spending hard earned $ on an inferior product/offering?-I doubt it, especially when periodically one hears of improvements which never seem to materialise. Things like changing livery and uniforms is beyond comprehension when so many other areas need adressing. The livery is one of the best in the world and yet they think it needs a change-priorities?

I'm also sick of paying to fly with duck tape-I have learned many ways of applying it to various objects now.

Please dont take it personally. GF is failing itself and its potential, let alone its pax(loyal ones at that). I was the laughing stock of my GCC collegues for a while because I remained loyal to GF while they all jumped to EK. The problem with the region is that critisim albeit constructive is all too often taken personally and enegrgies then targeted at defensivness rather than rectification. My loyalty speaks for itself and I think it also gives me the right to vent.

As with GF, downgrading my status rather than try keep me, you have hit back. That downgrade was final straw for me. If it were SQ who had dropped me down in status for lack of loyalty I'd have kept my mouth shut because the product is there, always was and most probably always will be! With GF it went a long a time ago and never came back. As I said in my reply to GF's manangements email to me "GF has not honoured its part of the 'loyalty contract' of providing the product which maintains loyalty"

Indeed if you are local I do very much understand watching a national icon be citiisized is not pleasant. As an Aussie the negative press Qantas has received of late indeed sadened me because they are a great airline.

I would also like to share that because of my posts on pprune, which I dare say have been leaked to GF management, I have received an email from them. That was most humbling and professional on GF's part, thus I do agree GF has the potential and the staff to do it. GF needs overhaul and deadwood removed - be it local or expat - because it's obvious that the end poor product is a result of lack of executive strategy and/or implimentation. Work ethic is a major contributor undoubtedly!!

I'd also like to thank the pilots for many years of safe flying. Never once did I feel my safety was being compromised even though some of the fleet did look sub standard indeed. My GF A332 model sits on my desk wih pride and brings lots of good travel memories with it. Lets hope I can relive all that in the future.

Sorry for the long speel I'm def in a venting mood of late.

Oddy

Last edited by ODMEA; 28th Oct 2008 at 01:00.