PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 10:35
shazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Service Comes From Best Working Culture

I will definitely not say the quality of service in Gulf Air exceptional but I would call for a consistent review and continuous improvement, and one of the key things is product innovations. I also think enormous work is needed at this time as the airline has one owner. Ad hoc changes and lack of stability in management over the past few years affected the service delivery enormously undoubtly.

I don't agree that majority of locals are bad in service, neither expatriates are good, and this is based on more than 17 years of extensive personal and business travelling across regional and international destinations. Not to forget tha Gulf Air had been an award-wining company not far ago. It is very simplistic and unfair to describe majority of locals clueless about the industry and the job is merely a monthly source of income. The case is proptional and I would be pleased to read a report or study contrary to my opionion. Best Service comes from best working culture (which include a range of factors such as people, procedures, system, foods, .etc) but certainly it does not come from specific gender or nationality. I don't have particular stereotype or bias towards a nationality or gender when it comes to my understanding of service, even Bahrainis!

Kuwait Airways has preference to hire Lebanse nationality in their cabin crew and service-based area, but many complain about the quality of service. Can we say it is because of Lebanse? Absolutely NOT. Similarly, Why Middle East Airline have not surpassed others in service if they have the best nationality in service? In fact, I never heard or read about excellence or award being granted to Middle East Airline. Obviously, we need to examine the complete picture and leave the bias behind us.

Professional selection and development are the bottom-line, not gender and nationality stereotype. By end of the day, Gulf Air is a Bahraini international company and obliged to hire locals but at the same time maintain equality and diversity of manpower to balance social and commercial arguments, whether we like or not.

I agree to an input about alcohol offering by Bahrainis working in the airline. I personally do not consume alcohol, but it is fair enough that job contracts and requirements are honoured.