PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent IREX Question! ILS-Y or ILS-Z in the DAPs
Old 27th Oct 2008, 07:21
MerlinV8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Urgent IREX Question! ILS-Y or ILS-Z in the DAPs

Could some please explain to me the main difference in the DAPs between an ILS-Y and an ILS-Z?

For example I have been looking at the approach plates for YSSY and the ILS-Y or LOC-Y RWY 07 and comparing it to the ILS-Z or LOC-Z RWY 07 and the only differance I can find is the DME Distances? which raises another question, how can the distance's be different over head the markers when both they and the DME are fixed aids?

Also why are you given two different options? what is it you are considering when making a choice which one to use?

I am currently self studying the IREX and have practice cyber exams, some of the questions are obviously out of date because they will ask a question on an ILS approach, neither mentioning Y or Z only to find that I am now presented with two choices, firstly do CASA and ASL keep their exams up to date that this won't happen in the actual exam, and if it did which one would I choose?

I have kept my DAPs up to date and also noticed that Z does not always come after Y so does the sequence of the lettering mean anything at all?

Exam not too far away so any help at all no matter how small would be appreciated!!

Thanks!