PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Handling Contract Pricing.
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 06:59
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STN Ramp Rat and Tyrekicker2 have both brought up the problem of DCS Systems especially those tied into certain CRS Systems falling behind in the area of e-ticketing despite a 4 Year IATA led lead-in effort. Unfortunately for the big legacy systems with multi-decade histories, changes can take a very long time to design, code, test and implement and in some cases it is finally done as a 'bodge'.or unless it has a direct commercial impact (as in e-tickets) avoided all together (I have had to design systems modules to take into account a function that despite being an IATA recommendation for over a decade most major CRS Systems hadn't adopted it. The result being the Upstream and Downstream systems had to transfer incomplete data to these systems in a form they could handle, but with the result that if the relevant screens displayed side by side the information appeared differently on both).

As for the SGHA and Anneses. Any industry agreed proforma is going to be behind the curve and as such has to be treated as the baseline for a real world agreement.

What saddens me is how the gap between Commercial and the People who have to implement appears at least in some cases got wider rather than narrowed.
Also how the lack of trust still means that he people who implement on both sides of an agreement don't actually have full access to what has been signed off.

For me this thread has so far been in part educational in bringing me up to date on what has changed and explaining why the current situation has developed and a less than happy trip down memory lane on realising how many of the 'bad practises' have continued into the modern era.