PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 16:14
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wings 1011,
Thank you for your invaluable insight.
The famous C/B L/H GND CTRL RLY also does controll the take off warnig system of the MD80 aircraft that ofcourse means if it is pulled the take off warning system will NOT work.
The inference here is that a successful TOCW check was never performed during pre-flight.I am guessing that the FIRST OFFICER performs the cockpit set-up but both pilots must check everything before taking to the skies.If they dont and only work according to SOP Areas of responsibility,they are like lambs to the slaughter.A skipper must advance his thrust levers and check that warning.He must check his consummables.He must know that the fire bottles are working .The FIRST OFFICER may be highly competent but you never abrogate responsibility.Areas of responsibility are not mutually exclusive.I can stray into his and he can stray into mine.I have no problem whatsoever with a FIRST OFFICER checking me.In fact if he doesnt,it worries me.One pilot can miss a pulled c/b or a system check,but two?Never ever let a SOP hamstring you.When you're on fire off the end of the runway,its no use saying "I was following SOP's.He was supposed to check it"

Last edited by Rananim; 5th Sep 2008 at 22:44.