PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scimitar Crash nr Ben Vorlich 10 Nov 1959
Old 12th Aug 2008, 15:40
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
There should be an interesting story here.
Well, I've just answered my own question. I had forgotten that I had signed up for the (currently) free Times Online Archive.

The story was in The Times on 12 Nov 1959 "Pilot walked 13 miles after baling out" "Sheltered in hut during blizzard" http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol...rykeywordText=

You will have to sign up to view the article, but here is the picture of the pilot:

It wasn't several days, just overnight, but I'm sure that was bad enough in the Grampians in November.

He baled out in the afternoon, landed on a ridge in a snowstorm, walked for several hours, sheltered in a hut and then walked out to a farm the next morning. He was wearing an immersion suit, which helped keep him warm. A great stiff-upper-lip quote in the article
It was snowing heavily by that time and his leg, which had taken "a bit of a pounding," was beginning to hurt.
An interesting point at the end of the article is that he reported ejecting near Kingussi, but landed 70 miles further south.

The Times Archive is an amazing resource - every article from every issue going back to 1785!

I42