PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2008, 16:32
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinghy, Dynghy, Prepare For Ditching.

Dinghy, dinghy, prepare for ditching, fifty fifty, brace , brace.
Sorry this does not seem to have any thing to do with Ponca it was hundreds of miles from the sea. But when I reread my contributions, my mind begins to wander (as usual . Mrs Cliffnemo)
Looking at the picture of the swimming pool, I thought everyone of those cadets could swim. That was because at I.T.W , although most could swim, we were told every one would have to be able to swim and be capable of life saving by the end of the course, or else. Weekly visits to Torquay baths became the norm.

This took me back to dinghy practice in Torquay harbour, and how many things I had left out of this blog. So here goes.

Dinghy practice took place in the harbour, regardless of weather. We dressed in Sidcot flying suits, flying boots, helmet, goggles, gloves and Mae West life jacket.
An inflated nine man survival raft was then thrown in and turned upside down. We were then instructed to jump in (high tide). Any one who hesitated was "assisted by our flight sergeant Then we were told how to turn it the right way up. One cadet was instructed to act as if he was unconscious, not very difficult for any of us. He just floated around in his Mae West. One cadet climbed in to pull and another remained outside to push the unconscious one up into the dinghy. We were then instructed in the use of all the equipment in the dinghy< flares, paddles . drogue, etc.

The R.A.F nine man survival dinghy was a marvelous and efficient piece of equipment. When it was inflated by compressed air bottle, not only were the two big rubber rings inflated but the floor, and top also., leaving only the doors to be inflated by mouth.

We were told that with the doors closed even in freezing temperatures , body heat would warm the interior.(soaking wet we were not convinced.)

Was this the dinghy known as the Lindhome dinghy,? Any one know.?

I don't have a wartime photograph of a dinghy, but below should appear a nine man R.A.F surplus dinghy I bought just after the war. I bought a small fishing boat in Maryport, had to sail it down to Liverpool, and was not too happy about about it's seaworthiness , so inflated it and lashed it on deck.

Do right and fear no man. Don't write and fear no woman. ( I must be mad)