PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ever flown a plane with a V-tail ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2002, 21:53
Captain104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WINO you typed "yes". Ok. .Talked to friends(ex SR), who had full transition training on Fouga CM 170R Magister in France long ago. Also found an old flight manual dated 1966.. .As said before, no personal experience in spins on that type, just had a short introduction phase. .to fly around and what was required for liscence. What I heard and what I read:. .Spin entry into normal spins standard during first turn, than during next two turns "rather distinct pitching, roll and yaw oscillations (as posted by weirdy) are recorded, as well as SEVERE ELEVATOR BUFFETING." (Rumour: more pronounced than in a Cessna T-37 with conventional tail). "Latest after 3 revolutions, the spin is more quiet and stabilized at about 45° nose down attitude.". .Recovery standard: "brisk full rudder opposite, after one to two seconds stick straight forward SLIGHTLY over the neutral position."

Intentional inverted spin prohibited. However,"you may enter unintentionally an inverted spin by EXCESSIVE forward movement of the control column......, for example during the half roll of the Immelmann or after an incorrect recovery from normal spin." I was told that's what happened to some pilots. Their forward input went further then SLIGHTLY neutral( as learned in other AC) and they entered inverted spin.. ."During inverted spin recovery, the AC may pitch through the vertical after rudder has stopped the initial yaw. If all controls are not IMMEDIATELY CENTRELIZED at this point, spinning may continue.". .I think, that's what they called a bit tricky.. .There could be 3 points related to V-tail spin characteristics here:. .1) pronounced elevator buffet when entering. .2) applying to much stick force input during normal spin recovery could end up in an inverted spin(misuse of rudder also a factor?). .3) recovery from inverted spin required exact application of described "centrelization.". .Regards

[ 18 February 2002: Message edited by: Captain104 ]</p>