PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Tomahawk fuel system
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 10:28
Martyn hobbs

Thanks for all your views.

I have now got the wiring diagrams from the maintenance facility at my local flying club so I can continue to integrate the sensor into the existing a/c system.

adverse-bump- I agree with you totally, good airmanship is the key to having a sustainable safe flight but from the research I have done (Reading many NTSB,AAIB,ATSB reports) It can be concluded that good airmanship and maintenance alone doesn't always prove to work.
(I will add one example in my next post).

The system measures the dielectric properties of the material that passes through it and so will pick up any indication of contamination by dirt, water or any other contaminant.

The proposed system is to be used before take-off but after the fuel drain procedures have been conducted and therefore acts as a back-up or fail safe tool in the event of a pilot not noticing any water in the drained sample.

The sensor can measure contaminants as low as 10,000 parts per million and so would notice any trace of water that the human eye wouldn't see. Even these small amounts of water over time can cause internal corrosion or aid fatigue of components leading to a failure without warning.