PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA set to claim siginifcant damages from BALPA for 'damage to its reputation & brand'
Old 5th Apr 2008, 16:35
Tinytim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Queens Counsel (the most experienced and expensive lawyers that money can buy) plus another senior Barrister?

I would hazard an informed guess that one weeks worth of High Court argy bargy with associated preparation will exhaust at least a quarter of Balpa's annual legal budget. (someone correct me if you have better knowledge but I believe this is of the order of £400 000 a year)

Make no mistake the legal issues are complex and arguable and if there is an appeal which would be to the Court of Appeal and then House of Lords I would like to know how or where Balpa will get the necessary resources from?

Litigation of this nature can be ruinous just on the basis of cost......From where I am looking BA are in an infinitely better position to play the legal game than Balpa ...and indeed could contrive to secure its ruin by prolonging the legal process.

Maybe I have missed something but unless someone is bankrolling Balpa (by legal insurance.....which I doubt) this is a pretty high stakes game with the ruin of Balpa a potential consequence. I sincerely hope all concerned know exactly what they are getting themselves into.