PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 30th Mar 2008, 14:54
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've thought about the idea of flying in Texas and do the theory here as well, but isn't it necessary to do some theory before going solo?
The FAA mandates a very simple pre-solo written exam which is nowhere near as complicated as the actual PPL exams. It's just 18 or so basic questions on emergency procedures, airport procedures, airspace surrounding the place where you train and so on. Furthermore, your instructor has to sign you out each time you go out on your own, and will verify your navigation plan and other things to make sure you return safely.

JAA does not mandate anything before solo or x-country solo. There is a "suggestion" somewhere that the instructor should check the theoretical knowledge of the solo candidate but there is no set exam. Some schools have made their own FAA-style pre-solo exam specifically for this purpose.

On the other hand, a lot of schools think it's a good idea to let you study the theory and do the written exams while you are actually doing flying training, and if you think about it, it makes sense. To make sure you actually progress with the theory, a lot of schools require that you do air law before first solo, and nav before first x-country solo. But it's not a legal requirement anywhere, as far as I know, and if you have a good reason not to do those exams (for instance because you're going to do them, or have already done them, in another country) I'm sure that the flight school will understand and come up with something else, a la FAA.

Daphne, you also have a PM (Private Message)

Last edited by BackPacker; 30th Mar 2008 at 15:09.