PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 27th Mar 2008, 23:05
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "large" and whether you mind having a UK JAA PPL instead of a Dutch one. UK CAA will issue a JAA PPL to an FAA PPL holder who has 100 hours PIC and passes (from memory) Air Law and Human Factors + the skills test.
That's what I meant although I did not know the exact number of hours. It's not something you could consider straight after doing your PPL.

Obviously if you do mind a UK-issued JAA PPL you can always convert the FAA PPL to a UK issued JAA PPL, and then convert that to a Dutch registered JAA PPL. I wouldn't know what the Dutch authorities require to convert an FAA PPL into a Dutch registered JAA PPL. You'd have to ask the IVW about that.

Another consideration, Daphne, is that the UK JAA PPL exams are handled just like the FAA exams: you can sit them at the flight school more or less when and where you want. The Dutch authorities are a little more formal about this: you will have to go to Nieuwegein (I think it is) and do your exams at the CBR location there - yes that's the same organization that does the drivers license exams. There are only half a dozen exam sessions each year. They are also considerably more costly than the UK JAA PPL exams if you do them at the US flight school (where the first try is included in the package anyway). So if I were you I would not do an FAA PPL in the US and then "convert" it to a JAA PPL when you get back. Instead, simply do an JAA PPL in the US. (But I'm biased, as that's what I did.)

You may however want to do an FAA PPL in addition to a JAA PPL when you're over there. Covered in depth a few posts earlier.