PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 27th Mar 2008, 15:09
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daphne, as far as I know the five JAA schools in the US all have accomodation included in the base price of the package. These are typically shared apartments where you do have a bedroom each, but have to share the rest. And by the way, most of the students will be male, which might be a consideration. For a larger fee, I know at least OFT has a package deal with a nearby hotel where you can get your own room.

As far as I know all prices on all websites are VAT inclusive, and virtually all airports/fields/strips in the US charge NO landing fees. There may be a few private fields that do, but those are not the fields that you will typically visit.

Getting an FAA license and converting it to JAA is not possible easily, as far as I know, unless you have a fairly large number of hours as PIC after obtaining your license. So if you go to the US for an FAA PPL and try to "convert" it to JAA straight after coming back, you've got to count on having to do all the theory exams and the flight test again. It's only the training hours, which form the experience requirement part of the JAA PPL, that you do not have to do all over again.