PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open Skies
Thread: Open Skies
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2008, 20:10
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry VS-LHRCSA but I have to beg to differ. BA cabin crew are extremely worried about the implications of Open Skies and there are plenty of opinions amongst us. If anything, we have even less protection than our flight crew as we have never had an agreement such as Schedule K so are completely open to what ever they want to do with us. In my understanding, Open Skies will be basically be in direct competion with us, both on the long haul US routes and, by reducing the need for connections, impacting on our shorthaul routes too. According to the OS website, they are also looking to eventually fly direct into London. Although no airport has been named on the site, I wouldn't be surprised if it was LHR especially with all those ex BMed slots heading our way! This is going to leave Mr Walsh with 2 airlines more or less doing the same routes, only one of those airlines is going to be much cheaper to run with cheaper flight crew and cheaper cabin crew. Who do you think will have their routes reduced? The more expensive BA or good old cheap OS?

As a member of BA crew, I've been following the OS threads from the start and although I've sometimes struggled to understand whats happening, (thanks to Human Factor for patiently explaining everything by the way!) I think it's important for cabin crew to realise just what this could mean to us as well as our flight crew.

And finally, yes I stand by our flight crew all the way as do most of my colleagues! In fact, from what I've heard, there was quite a good turn out of cabin crew to join the march on Saturday.

As they say, united we stand... etc

JSL