PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Back Problems
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2007, 00:38
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with all of those sentiments. I have very cleverly managed to damage my spine somewhat regularly, only once in a helicopter though.

Galloping a horse with the hat brim down way too low to see an offending thick tree bough was one not very smart trick, and of course the old water ski **se-up at a million miles an hour, another.
I Recently got to a stage where driving a vehicle was way too painful and preferred to stand in the back instead. I got a picture of my spine taken whilst in suburbia recently, not a pretty sight.

My sister is a practising physio, so she gives a good tune-up every now and then, the verbal type I mean. Yes sis, plenty of stretch excercises if you missed the point in the safety article.
Your medical article from the flight safety site is a good one. With regard to nutrition we cook a fair bit of bone broth, for the calcium input - add a dash of vinegar to help the extrusion process.
Read about all that and other good tips in Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions".
Another book that Mrs tet just pointed me too was on the http://www.bodychoice.com.au/ website - go to books - "performance without pain". she was intending to buy a copy. It's written with the athlete in mind I think.

Glucosamine 1000 tabs, one per day is a helpful healing, or something, agent. apparantly used in oldies homes. Glutamine 500 mg tabs is another, at two per day.

After ten hour days strapped to a Bell 47 standing up was a real worry, especially the 900 series xmons with the extra palnetary gears, they really gave it to you and made your back tingle still well after the first six cans or so.

Modifying a R22 seat would need a part 135 STC as there is no room for cushions. One's head is already nearly bouncing off the roof. I like those air cushion turnouts, maybe we could get Frank to fit 'em as stock standard.

I wonder what sort of vertical loads would they be able to be certified for?

I always thought that the pen name, 'dammyneckhurts' was a brilliant piece of satire, with a large dash of realism.

I agree about the 'pull the wallet out' trick, shake a good few of the moths out of it. It won't hurt at all.