PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Back Problems
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 11:54
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello aviator,

I too am a knackered old fart and an old lower back injury from military days more than 30 years ago, plus an old neck injury, combined with the cumulative years spent in poorly designed helicopter seats means that I too suffer from cervical and lumbar Spondylosis. I usually find that it is considerably worse after long journeys to and from home to Africa, lugging around suitcases and flight-bags and for that reason I never buy a bag without wheels these days. When flying I always use a proper orthopaedic lower back support, but sometimes if this isn't enough I look something like a follower of Madame Whiplash as I strap myself into a weightlifter's lower back corset in the morning . Occasionally if it really gets bad I visit the doctor. Usually a few days of powerful anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers works (I find Lodeine especially good), but sometimes I have to visit the osteopath for a few days. The only thing I have found is that it's never going to go away. I just hope that when I finally have to give up flying my spine will be less troublesome.